This past weekend I appeared on NBC Connecticut to show off my latest culinary creation, a slow cooker veggie lasagna dish, an ideal meal from Produce For Kids. This dish is easy to prepare, loaded with vitamins and delicious! So please watch the segment and try the dish at home. Also, I would love to hear from you your thoughts on the dish and any tips you may have to get your kids to eat healthy. In fact I may share your tips with viewers during my next segment!
To watch segment click link here:
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
• 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
• 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 3 cups spinach, loosely packed, chopped
• 1 lb. 2% cottage cheese
• 2 cups (plus ½ cup) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 26 oz. jarred low sodium pasta sauce
• 2 large zucchini, sliced, ¼-inch thick rounds
• 8 oz. no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach. Cook 5 minutes, or until water evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In mixing bowl, mix cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and salt. Divide into 2 portions.
3. Grease slow cooker. Cover bottom with ⅓ of sauce and assemble as follows: single layer noodles, ⅓ of cooked vegetables, single layer zucchini, 1 portion of cottage cheese mixture, single layer of noodles. Repeat layering once in same order. Add layer of remaining sauce, cooked vegetables and zucchini.
4. Sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella cheese on top.
5. Cook on low for 5 hours or until noodles and zucchini are tender.
Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna: Calories 490, Fat 16.32g, Protein 31.17g, Carbohydrate 50.81g, Fiber 4.64g, Cholesterol 51mg, Sodium 379mg, Calcium 614mg, Vitamin A 2696 IU, Vitamin C 39.07mg, Iron 2.88mg